Sunday, November 2, 2014

Jaws Review

This week has been a fun week talking about films. Don't get me wrong: I did like watching the other films and seeing the developments film made in such a short amount of time. That said, some of my favorite movies have come from around this era. They are movies that still hold up today, and aside from production values and effects, are more superior than most - if not all - of the movies that come out today.

Jaws is another one of my favorites. It's such a simple plot, yet it horrified and scared plenty of people, even to this day. It's without a doubt an outstanding movie - with great effects (for the time), great acting, with great build and suspense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW23RsUTb2Y

I love this scene in particular. Mike, who doesn't believe anyone about what they've been telling him, finally realizes that there is, indeed, a big problem in the water. The zoomed close up is a major story-arc of his scared and sweating face. After that, everything from there goes downhill.

Just a great scene and an awesome movie.

4 comments:

  1. Jaws is one of my favorites as well. I just re-watched a documentary about the film two days ago. In the documentary they talked about how people walked out of the first showing of the film. The people did not walk out because they did not like the movie, they walked out because it was too gory for them to handle. When I saw that part of the documentary I was very interested because that shows how much people have become desensitized from horror. Jaws is not an extremely gory movie if you go back and watch it again. To think about the type of movies we have now, such as Saw, and to compare that to Jaws, it makes you laugh. People now days are willing to pay to watch a film were peoples heads get cut off while people were scared to see Jaws when it first came out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how Jaws is getting so much love this week! That is a great scene and really the turning point for the entire movie. It is nice and refreshing to see some of the movies from my childhood get brought up in the text book and it really makes life easier as far as discussion board and blog posts go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharks still scare me because of Jaws. I think what makes him such a scary "monster" is because the scenario is very realistic. It was great effects for the time and a very strong script that can still hold up today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad was just a teenager when Jaws came out...He still fears the ocean today. I find that the shark archtype is coming back into play, granted, with movies that aren't well done (like Sharknado, or Ghostshark)

    ReplyDelete